Cosmocat Games announced their rogue-lite survival horror game TOXICANT launched in Early Access today! The game will spend approximately 6 months in Early Access during which time player feedback will be used to help shape the final experience.
Sinister Survival Horror
TOXICANT offers a sinister twist on the survival horror genre, featuring randomized levels and roguelike elements.
- Traverse a series of increasingly difficult randomized levels, upgrading your stats and gear along the way
- Use items like compasses, maps, beacons, and the MonPro 2000 to aid you in navigating the depths of the mines
- Collect miner’s notes and secret documents to learn the story of a conspiracy gone horribly wrong
- Sample an assortment of nourishment and libations in your quest to survive: expired canned food, toxic mushrooms, rancid wine, and more!
- Salvage old mining equipment and use it as a weapon, or a shield (Can’t find any? How about a board with a nail in it!)
What to expect on the road to full release?
The full version of the survival horror game TOXICANT will differ primarily in terms of content, polish and depth. Among the items planned for Early Access:
- Add Achievements
- More variation in level layouts and environments (including larger/wide open spaces, more variety in room shapes, etc.)
- Additional enemy types (in particular: more “creature”-esque enemies, like tentacles, large insects, etc.)
- More environmental hazards, including more prominent underwater areas
- More beacon types, and in general, more of a focus on the beacon launcher (less on combat)
- A boss level of sorts, along with a proper ending (I’m actually contemplating multiple endings)
- More reasons to explore, backtrack (more distinct secret areas, locked doors, etc.).
- More significance for luck, and greater use of stats in general (including more stats-affecting items)