Indie publisher Katnappe and developer Genius Slackers announced their first-person psychological thriller, What Happened, launches for PC via Steam this July 30th. To mark the release date announcement, the developers at Genius Slackers have released their first video dev diary. Watch as game director Arash Negahban reveals the inspirations behind the story of What Happened, and what the team set out to achieve.
About What Happened
In What Happened, players will step into the shoes of high-school student Stiles and try to guide him to the light, against the will of the demons that dominate his troubled mind. Only players’ empathy, and ability to read between the lines of his confused memories and drug-fuelled hallucinations, can turn Stiles from his self-destructive path.
Peer through the looking glass into an American high-school crawling with bad memories and powerful visual hallucinations that Stiles must navigate. Along the uneasy journey, players will have puzzles to solve, demon hands to avoid, and mind-bending encounters in the constantly-morphing environments. Stunningly realized in Unreal Engine 4, What Happened is a sensory treat, and a testament to the small indie team’s desire to tell their story about suffering and hope in an unforgettable way.
- Psychological thriller in which you guide high school student Stiles on an uncompromising journey through his troubled teenage mind.
- Unique first-person perspective on an individual’s journey through anxiety and depression.
- Densely atmospheric world of waking nightmares infused with distorted memories.
- Environmental puzzles and cues guide you through the twisted corridors of Stiles’ mind.
- The empathy you show for the character will subtly affect the outcome of his journey.
For more information about the psychological thriller What Happened, visit the official website. Wishlist the game now on Steam for PC, console versions are planned to be released at a later date. Stay connected with the developers by following on Twitter, Facebook or joining the conversation on Discord.