Indie studio Half Human Games announced a free alpha demo for Dwerve, a tower defense dungeon crawler RPG in development for PC, will be made available on the Dwerve Steam page for 1 week only during Steam Games Festival from June 9 – June 14.
Dwerve is a tower defense dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a young dwarven tinkerer that adventures into dwarven ruins to unearth the lost technologies of the ancient warsmiths – turrets and traps, the only weapons that can protect the dwarves from Witch Queen Vandra the Wicked and her army of bloodthirsty trolls and monstrous creatures.
Since first beginning development over 2 years ago, Half Human Games has committed itself to realizing the team’s vision for Dwerve. Inspired by the SNES classics, Dwerve takes all the RPG mechanics that RPG gamers know and love like dungeon crawling, looting, questing, exploring, and storytelling, and presents it with a new style of tactical turret-based combat.
- Tactical turret-based combat. Combat involves making strategic decisions about which turrets and traps to build and where. During a battle you must rebuild, swap out, and reposition turrets to adapt to new waves of enemies and a dynamic battlefield!
- Upgrade your arsenal. Unlock 15+ turrets, each with its own unique upgrade tree. Purchase upgrades that make the turrets stronger. You decide which turret upgrades best cater to your favorite strategies and play style!
- Discover powerful artifacts. Discover all 5+ artifacts — an arrow-blocking shield, dashing boots, a bouncing boomerang, a ground-shaking hammer, and more! These artifacts give the player special abilities to fight and outmaneuver foes!
- Fully dynamic lighting. Explore dimly lit dungeons that come to life with dynamic lights and shadows that offer a modernized take on SNES-inspired graphics that pushes the boundaries of pixel art games!
- Story-based campaign. Unravel the history of the dwarves and the trolls in a story that features diverse characters, unpredictable plot, and a fantasy world with it’s own mythology!
- Explore ancient dungeons. Explore 30+ dungeons in 5+ biomes, each with hidden secrets, mysterious puzzles, and interesting lore!
- Dynamic battlefield. Engage in combat on a dynamic battlefield that changes as you fight with obstacles collapsing, falling from the ceiling, and emerging from the ground!
- Solve challenging puzzles. Want to get extra loot or lore? Solve an optional puzzle! Or don’t — it’s up to you.
- Complete daring quests. Each dungeon has its own specific story-based objectives that you must complete to progress the story.
- Loot corpses and treasure chests. Collect health potions, scrap, armor, and other useful items from the bloodsoaked corpses of your slain enemies!
Steam Game Festival
The Steam Games Festival will be the first opportunity for anyone to try the game. The developers will be kicking off the festival by streaming the demo on the Dwerve Steam page and simultaneously hosting an AMA on the Half Human Games Discord on June 9 at 1:00 PM ET/GMT-4.
“The Steam Games Festival has given us the chance to share Dwerve with gamers from all across the world. I’m excited to talk with fans, get feedback, and tease some of the crazier turrets and traps that we have planned for the final game!”Co-founder and developer Peter Milko
Check out the Steam page to see what the game is all about and to wishlist the game. Also, visit Dwerve.com, join the Half Human Games Discord and follow @HalfHumanGames on Twitter to join Half Human Games on their quest to develop Dwerve.