Doublequote Studio’s Blood will be Spilled – the story focused spaghetti western platformer with tactical turn-based combat will be available starting today, May 23rd**, on Steam. A mosquito bounty hunter Jack is on his path of revenge and blood in the insect reimagining of the spaghetti-western genre.
**UPDATE: Release date for Blood Will Be Spilled has been delayed for May 29th. Add it to your Wishlist to follow for the latest news.
About Blood Will Be Spilled
Blood will be Spilled takes place in a highly detailed, completely hand drawn harsh world inhabited by insects. You follow the story of Jack – a mosquito bounty hunter, on his path of revenge. Soon, however, he finds himself neck-deep in a vicious scheme that is far more than he bargained for. Heavily outgunned and outnumbered, Jack will need help from a few rather unusual allies to even the odds. In the land with no laws, from deserted anthills and dusty mines, through battlefields to treacherous swamps, he’s on a hunt for the Calaveras gang. And they are wanted alive…or dead.
- Tactical turn-based shoot-outs – always outgunned, use every advantage and dirty trick to get an edge over your enemies: Hide behind covers, exploit the environment, suck the blood of your enemies and make sure that you’re the last bug standing.
- Classic side-scrolling action in a handcrafted world of “the Wild West with an insect twist”
- Use 12 active and 3 passive abilities in 3 different paths – The Good, The Bad or The Ugly. Pick the right one according to your play style and dispose of your enemies with a ricochet, a shotgun or a shovel.
- Battle 9 types of enemies – from ferocious mites, nasty fly-banditos, aggressive wasp-sharpshooters to crooked cockroach brawlers and explosive bugs. Face 4 sinister gang leaders with bounties on their heads – will you drag them back to town alive or dead?
- Starring the legendary Elias Toufexis (DeusEx) as Jack. Joined by the outstanding cast of more than 15 professionally voiced characters and a narrator, accompanying you through the story
- Adventure of blood and revenge that pays the tribute to all of the classic movies of the western genre. Featuring guns, explosives, trains and insects (with even more guns!)
Inspired By Spaghetti Western Classics
The game is a tribute to the spaghetti western genre. Taking inspiration mostly from movies by Sergio Leone, Sergio Corbucci, but also from modern pieces by Quentin Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez.
Doublequote Studio keeps a strong focus on the visual storytelling, with highly detailed hand-drawn graphics, motion-comics cutscenes and with voice acting by skilled industry professionals – Elias Toufexis (Deus Ex, Assassin’s Creed, Splinter Cell), Tim Simmons (Payday 2, Torchlight, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing) and Tamara Ryan (ARK: Survival Evolved, Payday 2) and others, to drive the whole experience.
From the very beginning, the plan was to build the game heavily on stereotypes and cliches and to find some interesting and funny similarities between the world of old spaghetti western movies and the (stylised) world of insects, utilizing mechanics like tactical but quick shootouts, using of special tricks and skills, wanted-dead-or-alive bounty hunting, distinctive characters and witty dialogues.